Thursday, January 28, 2016

Upcoming Workshops in Game Writing and Genre Fiction



I'm pleased to announce the fourth installment of the Game Writing Portfolio Workout on February 2nd at Microsoft NYC! I'm so amazed by the reception of these workshops.  I even got a standing ovation at the conclusion of the last Workout.  

If you'd thought about writing for video games or even if you are a practicing game writer, come join me in this fun community event.  No experience is required, though it is helpful.  Participation in the earlier workouts are not needed to understand what's going on, but you do get a broader sense of what is the craft of game writing if you have attended the earlier sessions.  I think this may be the last of the series, at least for now, because I want to get back to the genre fiction workshop I first offered back in July 2015.  It's what got the Game Writing Portfolio Workout started but there's still lots to explore in the worlds of science fiction, fantasy, and horror game writing.  Call it a specialization :)

As always, the event is held through Playcrafting NYC, which offers classes and events related to game development.  Early Bird tickets start selling now.


Then, on March 3rd, I'll return to Microsoft NYC for Writing for Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror Game Worlds If you're interested in science fiction, fantasy, and/or horror and want to populate your game world with monsters, creatures, aliens, fantastical beasts, and otherworldly cultures, you can benefit from this participatory workshop. Tickets sold here.

About Me

My background is a mixture of theatre, film, journalism, economics, and writing.  I received a S.B. in Writing and Humanistic Studies (now the major of Comparative Media Studies) at MIT and then I specialized in Screenwriting at USC's School of Cinematic Arts.  My first published game as a writer was on the epic space combat RPG, Terminus, which won 2 awards at the 1999 Independent Games Festival.  Afterwards, I worked on the episodic fantasy series Siege of Avalon, MMO Wizard101, and the dark fantasy RPG, The Witcher, for which I was nominated for a Writers Guild of America Award in Videogame Writing. I currently head the WGAE Videogame Writers Caucus and am SIG leader of the IGDA Game Design SIG.

0 comments:

Post a Comment